I usually opt for what most people call “natural” or simple supplements to help my sleep. Some of my favorite sleep stacks, like New Mood, have 5-HTP in their formula, so I decided to give 5-HTP Plus St. John’s Wort by Solaray a try.
Solaray has several lines of supplements and, as I learned when researching this product, their Guaranteed Potency (GP) Herbal Extracts identify not only the part of the plant the extract was created from, but also the potency of the active compound of the herb.
This combination of herbs supports proper serotonin synthesis, can help prevent stress-related coping mechanisms, and help prevent drastic mood swings, when taken daily.
- Griffonia (Griffonia Simplicifolia bean extract) (Guaranteed 100 mg [98%] L-5-Hydroxy Tryptophan) — 102 mg — A byproduct of tryptophan, this chemical helps increase the production of serotonin and has been used to treat insomnia, mood-disorders, migraines, and even binge eating.
- St John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum) (aerial) — 210 mg — This herb has been used for centuries, with well-documented studies, to treat depression and other mood disorders.
In addition to the above, the supplement contains Gelatin (capsule), cellulose, alpha galactosidase, and magnesium stearate.
Warning: Not recommended for use with MAO-inhibiting antidepressant prescriptions. May cause drowsiness; do not use while driving or operating heavy machinery. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use if safety seal is broken or missing.
Following the bottle’s directions, I took one gelatin capsule with a glass of water before heading to bed. I felt a wave of calm and well-being and was able to fall asleep quicker than I would without a sleep aid. I woke up a couple of times during the night, but was able to fall back asleep relatively quickly. The following night, I took one 5-HTP Plus St. John’s Wort capsule and one Valerian capsule, and I got great results. The same sense of calm and relaxation came over me, and I was able to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. I woke up relaxed and refreshed.
- Reduced time to fall asleep
- Very gentle
- No grogginess or fogginess in the morning
- Easy to use and time
- Very mild. I would like higher dose, and for best results I had to stack it with something else.
- May not interact well with some medications. It is a good idea to talk to your doctor before taking this supplement if you also take anti-depressants.
The Final Word
5-HTP plus St. John’s Wort is a mild but efficient supplement that worked especially well for me when stacked. I will continue to reach for this supplement when I need a little help to fall, and stay, asleep.
The instructions on the bottle don’t mention it having to be used at bedtime, so I will also try to take it during the day, on a high-stress day.