I’ve used aromatherapy principles to help me with muscle soreness and sinus infections, and I really enjoy sleep supplements with a great smell, like Sleep Blend SP-17.
Studies suggest aromatherapy can have mild, anti-anxiety effects that could help those with insomnia and anxiety-related lack of sleep. Now Foods’ Peaceful Sleep Oil Blend is a mix of a number of time-tested aromatherapy oils, so I decided to try it out.
Using this oil promotes calming, relaxing, and soothing benefits.
This full-strength, highly concentrated aromatherapy oil blend is a great option for those looking for a natural remedy to help them fall and stay asleep (without ingesting a supplement).
- Orange oil — This oil is used to fight depression and reduce both emotional and nervous disturbances.
- Tangerine oil — This oil has sedative properties and has been used to soothe inflammation and reduce nervous disorders.
- Lavender oil — Present in almost every “sleep” blend, this oil is calming, can help induce sleep and alleviate insomnia.
- Chamomile oil — Often seen in tea form, chamomile has frequently been used to calm an upset stomach and could help with insomnia and anxiety.
- Ylang Ylang oil — This oil is used to help treat nervous disorders.
- Sandalwood blend — Sandalwood is used to reduce blood pressure, boost memory, and treat nervous disorders.
The instructions on the bottle suggest a few ways to use this oil. You can add to a diffuser, add to a bedtime bath, or create a spray by mixing it with water and putting it in a spray bottle (do not ingest). I tried it a couple of different ways, and they were all wonderful. I added it to a steam shower to create a relaxing sauna-like experience. (Be extra careful when adding it to the bath or shower, as the oil can make surfaces slippery.)
I also added it to a small pan with water and placed it on top of my radiator, just before heading to bed, for an all-night aromatherapy experience. I also made a solution with a cup of water and 10 drops of oil, added it to a spray bottle, and sprayed my bed and sleep mask (the outside, not the side in contact with the skin). This definitely helped me relax and unwind before bed. I love that this scent is not lavender-heavy like most aromatherapy sleep-blends out there. The comforting citrus and warming sandalwood were just right for me.
- Very gentle
- All natural
- Variety of uses
- Portable. (The container is TSA-sized, so you can take it with you on trips.)
- It’s a little more involved than just taking a pill, but in my opinion, worth it.
The Final Word
I’m usually not a fan of the popular lavender-heavy relaxation blends, so Peaceful Sleep is a perfect blend for me. I will be using this often, and in conjunction with other sleep supplements. I’m looking forward to using this on my next trip, I may even douse a couple of cotton pads with it and keep it in a zip-lock baggie for a “relaxing sniff” before an on-flight nap.