I usually opt for what most people call “natural” or simple supplements to help my sleep. But in my quest to find the best sleep supplements (and hopefully help a few other people do the same!), I’ve been broadening those horizons to try out new ingredients, brands, and combinations. One of those is Endocrine PM from Betancourt Nutrition, a supplement a CrossFit friend turned me on to.
Promotes Deep, Restful Sleep and Enhances Recovery
I was introduced to Endocrine PM as a recommended supplement for bodybuilders, lifters, and athletes looking to improve nighttime recovery. That means it contains two main classes of ingredients: supplements to promote sleep, and supplements to promote muscle recovery. The sleep portion of Endocrine PM includes:
- Melatonin — This is one of my go-to sleep enhancers. It helps me fall asleep faster and experience more restful sleep. I especially like melatonin because its effects don’t diminish with repeated use (and studies back up my experience). One question mark was that the Endocrine PM bottle doesn’t list how much melatonin is in each serving.
- Bioperine (black pepper extract) — I’ve never tried a black pepper supplement around bedtime, but it supposedly helps the body absorb nutrients through the digestive system (like Vitamin B6, which Endocrine PM also contains).
In addition to the above, the supplement contains Nitric Oxide and a variety of ingredients it claims boost Human Growth Hormone production (including L-Dopa, though clinical studies on this ingredient seem generally inconclusive). It’s unclear if they factored into enhanced sleep quality during my trial.
Following the bottle’s directions, I took 3 of the jet-black pills on an empty stomach 20 minutes before bedtime — and I don’t remember much else after that. I was out like a proverbial light in no time, and I didn’t stir until my alarm went off 8 hours later. I woke up out of a deep sleep without feeling groggy, though my body was very, very relaxed, and I wouldn’t have complained about knocking out for another hour or two.
With a bit more experimentation, I found my ideal dosage was just 2 pills before bed, which powers me through a good night of 8.5-9.5 hours of deep, relaxed sleep. I also noticed slightly better physical recovery when taken on nights after tough workouts (usually CrossFit classes, which sometimes keep me up if done too late in the evening; Endocrine PM seemed to solve that). The one night I went under 8 hours (just 7 due to an early call), I struggled to get out of bed and had to fight the total-body relaxation this supplement induces.
- Greatly reduced time to fall asleep
- Induced basically uninterrupted deep sleep lasting 8+ hours
- Improved muscle recovery (observationally); though I’m hardly the athlete I once was, and I was never world-class at that!
- Easy to use and time
- VERY potent; do not take before naps or sleep sessions lasting under 8 hours; can induce grogginess if you need to wake up after less than 8 hours
- Not recommended to use more than 5 times/week as stated on the label
The Final Word
Endocrine PM is definitely one of the strongest sleep supplements I’ve taken; I don’t even take the full-recommended dose anymore. And perhaps unsurprisingly, the label cautions against taking more than 5 servings per week. I’ll be keeping this supplement in my rotation, but I wouldn’t want to use it more than three times per week because the sleep it induces needs at least 8 hours uninterrupted. Anything short of that, and you’ll risk starting your day in a fog.
If you’re looking for a supplement to help slip into a catnap or improve sleep quality on a short sleep schedule, this is not the product for you. But if you’re active (weightlifter, CrossFitter, etc.) and looking for a supp to induce long, restful sleep, Endocrine PM by Betancourt Nutrition could be a great option.
Right now most outlets list the supplement as out of stock/on backorder, but we’ll be on the lookout for when Betancourt produces more!