Note: Currently, GABAwave is unavailable from the manufacturer. I really liked this supplement but have been unable to find it (and many phenibut-containing supplements have recently been taken off the market, it seems). I’ve started using New Mood more frequently instead of GABAwave, especially for travel. Read my full New Mood review here.
I have a preference for natural supplements when it comes to supplementing my sleep. But in my quest to find the best sleep supplements (and hopefully help a few other people do the same), I’ve been broadening those horizons to try out new ingredients, brands, and combinations. I stumbled upon GABAwave while buying the ingredients for Bulletproof Coffee. Given how much I like what the coffee does for me, I decided GABAwave was worth a try.
Increases focus and cognition and helps maintain lower stress so you can do more.
When I saw this supplement on the Bulletproof site, I was curious (and a little dubious) about the purported benefits: amazing focus all day, amazing sleep all night, all in a single dose that lasts 36 hours.
- Phenyl-GABA (phenibut) 600mg — Both a tranquilizer and nootropic, phenibut is a neuropsychotropic drug first synthesized in Russia in the 60s. It is effective at both stimulating dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with controlling the flow of information in the brain, and relieving stress and anxiety. Bulletproof (also known as Upgraded Self) claims GABAwave’s patent-pending process shrinks the phenibut molecules, making them easier to absorb.
In addition, the supplement contains the inactive ingredients Oleic Acid (from olive oil), Glycerin, Phosphatidylcholine (Natural Phospholipid as an emulsifier), Inulin, Natural Flavors, Natural Caramel Color, Gum Acacia, and Stevia.
As with any supplement, it’s a good idea to consult with your doctor before starting, especially if you are on any other medications. The packaging says to not take GABAwave if you are under 18, are or may become pregnant, or before operating heavy machinery. The company also advises against taking more than one ampule in 36 hours and more than three times per week.
Following the case’s directions, I took one full ampule of brown viscous liquid on an empty stomach at around seven in the morning. (The instructions suggest starting with less than a full ampule, but I was curious.) I had to shake it and hold it upside down for a while, before the whole ampule looked “even” in color. The taste was atrocious — bitter and extremely salty, two flavors I usually like, but together and in liquid form, they were decidedly offensive.
Despite desperately chugging a giant glass of cold water in an effort to erase the flavor, I was calm and relaxed. That sensation stayed with me throughout the day, with the added benefit of sharpened focus. At night, I fell asleep quickly and experienced a deep and dream-filled 8+ hours of sleep that was unquestionably restful. I woke up before my alarm, and although relaxed, I felt invigorated. This feeling lasted until around 7PM that next day.
- Induced both a sense of calm and sharpened focus for a full 36 hours
- Greatly reduced time to fall asleep
- Induced basically uninterrupted deep sleep lasting 8+ hours
- The taste is atrocious
- Can be a little tricky to time
- Can increase the effects of tranquilizers, narcotics, and neuroleptics. A powerful supplement with some suggested usage restrictions (see the last paragraph under Active Ingredients and the back of the packaging for more details).
The Final Word
GABAwave is definitely one of the best supplements I’ve taken, in both the sleep and nootropic categories. The box advises to take no more than one ampule every 36 hours and no more than three ampules per week. I have started to take them on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, and have really enjoyed both my productivity and the incredible sleep it induces. I did have a couple of drinks while on GABAwave, and the tranquilizing effect of the alcohol was definitely amplified — I would suggest staying away from alcohol entirely while using GABAwave.
If you are looking for a supplement that is effective at reducing stress, sharpening your focus, and inducing restful sleep, this is an incredible option.