I have a preference for simpler and natural sleep supplements. The main reason I started to learn about sleep nutrition and science was so that I could work on sleeping well enough to be sharp and focused for work the next morning. In my constant search for new supplements, I stumbled on the site for Lumonol, a nootropic (aka brain enhancer) made by Avanse. Lumonol Luna is their sleep supplement, designed to be used either on its own or stacked with Lumonol, for what they call “round the clock busy lifestyle support.”
A nootropic sleep formula designed to send you swiftly into a deep state of sleep and wake up fresh, sharp, and alert.
In addition to 1 mg of melatonin, this supplement contains herbal extracts and minerals for a broad spectrum sleep stack.
Magnesium (20mg) — A mineral heavily involved in sleep cycles. As I mentioned in this article, magnesium is an effective sleep aid on its own.
- Valerian Root Powder (400mg) — This fragrant herb has been historically used as a sedative and pain reliever and prescribed by ancient Greek physicians as a treatment for insomnia.
- Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) (400mg) — This neurotransmitter produced by our brain is directly related to reducing “excitability” in the nervous system.
- Passion Flower Herb Powder (25 mg) — This plant extract helps boost your GABA (as evidenced in this study), helping mitigate both nervousness and insomnia.
- Chamomile Powder (25 mg) — Often used in tea form, chamomile has frequently been used to calm an upset stomach and could help with insomnia and anxiety.
- Lemon Balm Powder (12.5mg) — An herb from the mint family, it is known for its ability to induce sleep.
- Melatonin (1mg) — This is one of my go-to sleep enhancers. It helps me fall asleep faster and experience more restful sleep. I especially like melatonin because its effects don’t diminish with repeated use (and studies back up my experience).
Additional Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, rice flour, magnesium stearate.
Following the bottle’s instructions, I took 2 capsules before bedtime. I’m not sure if it was the combination of exhaustion— two consecutive extra-early mornings, coupled with sleepless nights — or the fact that I recently started favoring herbal sleep supplements in lieu of melatonin, but Lumonol Luna knocked me out. I took 2 capsules, followed by a hot shower. I remember putting on my sleep mask, and next thing I knew, it was 8.5 hours later, and my dog was waking me up. I took it again the following weekend, and was again able to get at 8+ hours of deep, restorative, and uninterrupted sleep. I woke up alert and well-rested. This is a powerful formula, at least for me, and I would not recommend taking it when you have less than 8 hours to sleep after taking it.
- Greatly reduced time to fall asleep
- Induced basically uninterrupted deep sleep lasting 8+ hours
- Woke up feeling alert and refreshed, as advertised
- Easy to use and time
- VERY potent; at least for me. I would not take it unless you have 8+ hours to sleep after taking it
The Final Word
I really like Lumonol Luna, and will be reaching for it when I have the time for a full-night’s restorative sleep. I like how “ready” I wake up after taking this, and I plan on giving Lumonol a try to see how these products complement each other.