Melatonin is one of my favorite go-to ingredients for better sleep. I find it helps me fall asleep faster, rest deeper, and awake feeling more refreshed. However, most of my experience with melatonin comes in the form of multi-ingredient products and “stacks” like Endocrine PM or Power to Sleep. I’ve heard there’s a lot of variability in effectiveness, dose, and quality among single-ingredient melatonin supplements, so I recently bought a few to compare.
First up is Natrol’s Melatonin 10mg Fast Dissolve (Citrus Punch Natural Flavor). I’ve never taken a dissolving sleep supplement before, so this was an interesting experience from start to finish.
Natrol Melatonin 10mg Fast Dissolve is a fast-acting sleep aid for relief of occasional sleeplessness. Melatonin helps establish normal sleep patterns to promote a more restful, relaxing sleep and better overall health. Get the rest you need with this delicious, easy-to-use tablet.
- Melatonin — This is one of my favorite sleep enhancers. It helps me fall asleep faster and experience more restful sleep. I really like melatonin because its effects don’t diminish with repeated use (and studies back up my experience).
In addition to the melatonin, this product also contains xylitol, a sugar alcohol used as sweetener, Cellulose Gum, Natural Flavor System, Soy Polysaccharides, Maltodextrin, PVP, Beet Root Powder, Malic Acid, Silica, Modified Food Starch, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Citric Acid.
Following the label’s instructions, I let one tablet dissolve in my mouth about 20 minutes before bedtime (the label says no water necessary, but I definitely had to wash it down to get the chalky taste out of my mouth). Across the few nights I tested this supplement, I didn’t sleep particularly well. I might have fallen asleep a little faster, but my sleep never felt particularly deep or uninterrupted. And I didn’t really enjoy the dissolving ritual involved every night; I would rather have taken it like a normal pill with water.
I’ve tried a few other melatonin supplements on their own (not stacked with other ingredients) since this one, and they’ve all been more effective, even at lower listed doses (5mg, even 2mg) of the active ingredient.
- No pill swallowing necessary, if that’s something you’re looking for
- A relatively high dose of melatonin compared to other supplements
- I didn’t find this supplement to be terribly effective on its own; I’d like to try it stacked with other supplements to see if that changes things
- Contains wheat, so not suitable for people with gluten allergies
- Contains soy
- Chalky aftertaste and texture
The Final Word
My experience with Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve wasn’t particularly great. It didn’t have any negative effects (though it could for people sensitive to gluten, since there’s wheat in the pills). I’m curious how this supplement stacks with others (potentially Natural Calm). Once I test that out, I’ll be sure to report back.